Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Gianfranco Vissani

With his characteristic red shoes, this man, the top chef in Italy today, continues to dazzle the foodies of the world.



Powerful, yes he is. He is ubiquitous on television, commenting, creating and protesting the blurring of the ancient Italian tradition of respect for one's ingredients, however humble.

You can see something of his famous restaurant at its website. If you have to ask, then like me, you probably can't afford it. It's just down the road a piece from my Umbrian house, so if you are inviting? There's one special for €100, but unfortunately it's rabbit. On that site he also writes columns on Italian traditional foods.

People are forever arguing about whether it can be worth paying $350 and up for a single meal. I would say yes, if you have it to spend, and I would further say pay it to the man in the red shoes.

3 comments:

Delina said...

I just clicked on the website to see the restaurant and there's a message saying that the website has a rest on Wednesdays. That made me laugh. A website having a rest?? A rest from what?

I wanted to check out if he has a set meal or a happy hour, 100euro for the special is a bit over my budget.

Judith in Umbria said...

That is funny! Anyway, the €100 meal is THE special, small meal. The other special tasting menu id €155 plus wines.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I'm sorry, but Papa Ratzinger is the only man who can pull off red shoes.

 
"verify-v1" content="+dakYPQ+NCNIQXfjlGuPu8eGSpq+ljxms0sIBxyvBMQ=" />